[AccessD] Reading an .ldb File

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Wed Apr 9 15:12:11 CDT 2008

LDBView was part of JetUtils.exe.  Should be able to find it with a
google search.  Holler if you can't, I'll dig it up and send it too you.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Mark A Matte
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 3:07 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Reading an .ldb File

The tool would be useful...I often see an LDB file with 5
users/computers listed...but in actuality...there is only 1.

I'm not sure why??

I'd be interested though...

Thanks,

Mark

> Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 15:00:05 -0500
> From: DWUTKA at marlow.com
> To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
> Subject: Re: [AccessD] Reading an .ldb File
>
> LOL, there is an old utility called LDBView that does this. Just an
> FYI, the .ldb file is pretty simple, if I remember right, it's in 64
> byte chunks. The first half (32 bytes) is the Computer name and the
> last half is the Access User name (by default that's Admin). Those may
> be reversed.
>
> What's MORE important, however, is that the position of that 64 byte
> chunk is related to a bit in the .mdb itself, as to whether or not
that
> person is actually still in the database. (Which LDBView does that for
> you, comparing the chunks in the ldb file to the bits in the .mdb).
>
> However, as I posted earlier today, since Windows 2000, with computer
> management, if you look at the server the .mdb is on, you can see who
is
> actually using the file, and even 'close' those connections if
> necessary.
>
> Drew

the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain II-VI
Proprietary and/or II-VI Business Sensitive material. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and destroy
the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. You are
notified that any review, retransmission, copying, disclosure,
dissemination, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon
recipient is prohibited.