[AccessD] An International Consideration

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Thu Apr 10 03:30:52 CDT 2008

Hi everyone

Here's a funny thing that's arisen because of running an Access system
written in French on an English version of Access. I thought those of you
involved in systems around the globe might be interested in this.

I found that when I open a form whose data is based upon a selection made on
the previous form Access pops up the parameter entry dialog and asks me to
enter the value which it ought to be just reading from the earlier form. So
say I'm in form A. There's a prompt for a week number and then a button to
open the production plan for that week. In France, where the system was
written, that week's plan would appear. Here in the UK Access pops up a
dialog asking for the week number and only when I enter it there does the
plan appear. This behaviour occurs all over the systems. What it is, I'm
sure, is that the recordsource for the planning screen is:

SELECT *
FROM [Préparation planning]
WHERE [Préparation planning].Semaine=[Formulaires]![Semaine
planning]![Semaine]

If you look at the WHERE statement the keyword Formulaires is not being
recognised in English Access (it would be Forms here of course) so
[Formulaires]![Semaine planning]![Semaine] is being treated as an unknown
parameter and Access asks for user input.

Interesting eh? Of course what I could do is get hold of a French version of
Access but I'd need to install that on another machine as it would be sure
to get in the way of the English version. A case for Virtual PC, I know.
Anyway this post is not about solving this (unless someone has a great idea
of course), more about pointing out yet another potential pratfall when you
cross national/language borders. I'd be interested to know if Access handles
the reverse ok, ie if [Forms] is used would that be ok in the French
version?

--
Andy Lacey
http://www.minstersystems.co.uk