[AccessD] Web colours (Michael Bahr)

Kenneth Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 14:09:26 CDT 2008

A vanishingly small percentage of users still use 8-bit video cards
nowadays, so full 24-bit graphics are the norm for the web.

Further, since IE7 supports PNGs with alpha-transparencies, and IE8 is on
the way, it's finally safe to use the full capabilities of the PNG graphic
format. PNG transparencies add a lot of design freedom to a web site.

IE6 doesn't render PNG transparencies without an add-on, but since the IE6
is now 7 years old, and soon 2 versions behind, my response to IE6 users is
increasingly becoming: screw them. Once IE8 comes out, I'm seriously
considering using conditional comments to show a red box only to IE6 and
earlier users, telling them that they aren't getting the optimal browsing
experience because their browser is out-of-date, and urging them to upgrade.

-Ken