[AccessD] Access development on the wane?

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Aug 1 15:56:25 CDT 2008

Hi Mark

I had the same feeling. Felt really stupid - which is a big no-no for any application - until I found out that the tiny quick access toolbar top-left is the most important one and it can be expanded, and that many of the well known topics are buried somewhere under the big non-button aimed at stupidos, the Office button. And at left all the useless options mock up the choice from and grouping of the well known objects from the good old database window, now gone.

Now, who feel tempted to develop in an environment that makes you feel stupid and obviously is targeted at others than developers?
Shamil, William, Charlotte and other fellow listers had no hard time convincing me to turn to Visual Studio ...

/gustav

>>> markamatte at hotmail.com 01-08-2008 14:52 >>>

I really hate to tell this story...but......this weekend I had a look at Office07, Access specifically.  I had just proudly told my girlfriend's father..."No problem, I can just pull that spreadsheet right into Access, Build a form, build a report, and you will be done." (should have taken thess than 5 minutes)  Well I opened up and found A2007...I have heard a number of people here complaining...but I mean what the hell did they do?!?!?!?!?  I was completely lost.  It felt like a really bad job interview...as I'm trying to explain..."No really I get paid to do this stuff, I promise."

As I poked around I started to find things...but I can tell this is going to take some time.  Anyone thought of writing a translation book?  MENU-FILE-SAVE AS now lives "where ever that is".(that might have been an EXCEL issue)...anyway just kidding about the book???

I finally got done what I was attempting...kinda...enough to get my point across...I skated through a potentially very embarrassing moment.

Just my opinion...but If you claim to "know access"...make sure you have seen A2007 or they are not talking about it...It was confusing enough to look at...much less discovering the differences with someone watching/judging.

Mark A. Matte