[AccessD] SMTP Server

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Dec 23 07:42:25 CST 2008

Hi Max

You mention some very good reasons but nothing is a free ride.

Reasons to use the SMTP of the ISP (often called SmartHost) are:

 - it may be your only option. Some ISPs block port 25 traffic to anything else than their own SMTP server. To avoid this, obtain a "Pro" or "Business" account or the like.
 - if a mail have receivers in many domains, you transmit it once, while the ISP transmits (relays) it to all the domains in separate sessions.
 - error handling is done at the ISP.
 - your ISP will normally receive your mail at full upload speed meaning that your SMTP client is kept busy the shortest possible time.

Note that some of these topics may just as well be regarded as disadvantages. Thus, there is no "right" or "best" method.

Regarding the logging or security of your sent mail, if this matters, encrypt the mail or the attached documents. _Anything_ else is like sending an open postcard no matter what method or route. And someone out there _does_ read or scan your mail, at least some of it. This we all should remind clients about from time to time.

/gustav

>>> max.wanadoo at gmail.com 23-12-2008 14:16 >>>
Hi Dan,
Yes, it is easy to do if you want to use your ISP, but what if you don't
want to use your ISP.  Why send an email from (say) you to me via a 3rd
party?  Why give yuor ISP the ability to read your emails.  What if your ISP
doesn't operate when you move overseas on business or holidays (ie, block
certain countries).  What if you have different clients and do not want to
use your ISP but want to use theirs and they are all different?

With LocalSMTPServer you can now send it from within your App using VBA once
they have set up IIS and localhost.  And that is what I have just done (with
a little help from my friends).

Ta
Max