[AccessD] OT RE: Rar vs winzip

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Feb 11 12:31:01 CST 2008

About 8:1.   These were SQL Server database files and they do compress
pretty well.  Not particularly fast however.

I have a bunch of SQL Server database files that I will likely never need
again.  Some big ones were the SOURCE databases that I further refined and
now just sit there.  I don't want to just delete them, but I also don't want
to take up a hundred gigs of any kind of storage holding them.  I want them
OFF of my main system in case anything goes wrong.  To turn the 100 gig file
into a 12 gig file suddenly makes it easily archivable.  Not easy to get
back but that is the point exactly, I don't really expect to ever need to.

OTOH I have a bunch of little database files that I store the orders in.
These files average a few megs up to a couple of hundred megs.  These I can
zip using WinZip but still get a useful shrink, and they don't take THAT
long to zip / unzip.  I can then store them NearLine, on a different system
but easily available if the client ever asks a question about them.  I have
my active HUGE databases which I need to store NearLine without zipping at
all.  If I ever need them back I will want them ASAP.  Even doing a straight
copy from disk to disk within the same system takes hours when it is a 100
gig file.

As you can see I need to use a variety of tools to handle all of this.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting