[AccessD] OT: MS SQL question

Billy Pang tuxedoman888 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 22:45:27 CST 2008

I haven't used MSSQL 2005 but can you use sql profiler to monitor your
connection?  looks like your authentication went through so it should
register something.  that should tell you the user you are using to test
your odbc connection; then i'd verified the default database setting for
that user and see if that user has permission to open the database.

hth

Billy

On Feb 9, 2008 6:49 PM, Jim Lawrence <accessd at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Sorry for the OT but I am having a bad MS SQL day and responses have been
> slow on the other list.
>
> I have always designed my MS SQL with Windows Authentication and when
> Anonymous access was required it was through IIS... for the last 10 years.
>
> Now there is a new challenge. Connect MS SQL 2005 through MS SQL or 'sa'
> mode and the server is proving a worthy opponent.
>
> The server is set to support both connection modes but I am not sure
> whether
> these setting can be set/unset at the database level. I have created a
> user
> and the system seems happy but when testing the connection through ODBC it
> responds with something like:
>
> Connection failed:
> SQLState: '42000'
> SQL Server Error: 4064
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open user default
> database. Login failed.
>
> I am sure the issues is something very simple but after 2 days no joy.
>
> Any insights?
>
> TIA
> Jim

Billy Pang
http://dbnotes.blogspot.com/
"Once the game is over, the King and the pawn go back in the same box." -
Italian proverb