[AccessD] OT RE: Rar vs winzip

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Tue Feb 12 11:07:38 CST 2008

Hi John,
Some thoughts on this thread:

RAR might just create its own "swap" file but I do not know this as a fact.
Some products do that, e.g. Photoshop and Illustrator. If these products are
running slow one thing to check is which drive they are using as a swap
drive. I keep older drives around just for that purpose. An 8GB drive makes
an adequate swap drive for most Photoshop needs.

The latest version of WinZip can extract RAR files but cannot create them,
so your customers may be able to "unzip" your RAR files without additional
software. I'm not sure which versions of WinZip included this functionality.
WinZip is not longer shareware. It is no longer "cheap" either but one can
generally find half price deals and such on it.

A nice backup product for SOHOs is ZipBackup. It is relatively inexpensive
and easy to use. And if all else fails, one can open the backup archives
with WinZip.