[AccessD] A2003:Copying Files-Tricky

Darren D darren at activebilling.com.au
Wed Feb 13 22:11:59 CST 2008

Hi All

I have a tricky question - at least it's tricky for me to solve

I have a field in a table where suffixes and prefixes for files are stored in a
field called "Possible Matches"

Trouble is - it's only one field and the possible prefixes and Suffixes are
separated by SemiColons

So we may have XML;DOC;TXT;123 etc representing possible Suffix/Prefix

What I want to do is write a file copy routine that looks for any occurrence of
the strings above in any file name in a given location

And I want that routine to copy any occurrence of the file/s it finds with the
"Possible Matches" in its name to another folder

EG say I have File1.TXT, File2.DOC, 123.PDF, My.INI in the root folder of C:\

I want the routine to find the txt, doc and pdf files and copy them from the
root folder of C: to a location but ignore the ini

As neither 'INI' nor 'My' (My.INI) is in the "Possible Matches" field

The file copy stuff I am familiar with but I think the routine would have to

Some other things I am not so familiar with

EG PsuedoCode/WorkFlow

A        Count the items in "Possible Matches" by counting the SemiColons
perhaps using InStr (Is that the correct function?)

B        loop the number of times InStr finds a SemiColon

C        For each loop build a search string - In this EG "C:\" & "*TXT*" or
"C:\" &"*DOC*" etc

D        The copy every occurrence of "C:\" & "*TXT*" or "C:\" &"*DOC*" etc  to
the desired destination (This bit I can do) And so on

Am I on the right track with the PsuedoCode/WorkFlow?

Make sense?

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

DD