[AccessD] Friday/weekend scaring reading: Wikipedia and JET

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 15 23:26:29 CST 2008

Hi All:

This Wikipedia article is comprised of 8 sections
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Jet_Database_Engine writing by
supposedly knowledgeable MDB experts. Below is posted one of the sections.
Who can find the most errors?:

<Section 1>
Architecture

Jet allowed the manipulation of relational database and was part of a
Relational Database Management System (RDBMS). It offered a single interface
that other software could use to access Microsoft databases and provided
support for security, referential integrity, transaction processing,
indexing, record and page locking, and data replication. In later versions,
the engine was extended to be able to run SQL queries, store character data
in Unicode format, create database views and allowed bi-directional
replication with Microsoft SQL Server.

There were three modules to Jet. One was the Native Jet ISAM Driver, a
dynamic link library (DLL) that could directly manipulate Microsoft Access
database files (MDB), which was a modified form of an Indexed Sequential
Access Method (ISAM) database. Another one of the modules were the ISAM
Drivers, DLLs that allowed access to ISAM databases, among them being Xbase,
Paradox, Btrieve and FoxPro files. The final module was the Data Access
Objects (DAO) DLL, DAO allowed programmers access to the Jet engine. It was
basically an object-oriented data language used by Visual Basic for
Applications and Visual Basic programmers to access Jet.

</Section 1>

There are so many flaws and half truths in this article it will take me a
while to know where to start. When we have finally corrected the 8 section
the present Wikipedia article can be replaced.

Jim