[AccessD] OT: Friday non-humour

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 07:58:09 CST 2008

Gustav,

An old and much-cherished friend of mine, Jon Lomberg, did the opening to
Contact. He has worked with Carl Sagan several times before, and won the
Emmy for art direction on Cosmos. Jon also finagled me into being one of the
200 people selected to choose the music that went out on the disk in
Voyager. What actually ended up on the disk was much more political fiasco
than attempt to communicate, but it was a fun and challenging exercise up
until the politicos got involved.

Speaking of old friends, Jon and I and another guy named Bob McDonald at one
point shared a house. Bob is now the host of a radio show called Quirks and
Quarks, about science news, broadcast on CBC radio on Saturdays. (You might
be able to pick it up from radio.cbc.ca.) That house was quite the
household. Another guy who lived there was for 7 years the CDN chess
champion, and later moved on to backgammon, where he was twice the world
champion. It seems that I was the runt of that litter.

Arthur