[AccessD] Clients and money

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Jan 10 13:05:59 CST 2008

You know in a sense you are correct.  Storage is cheap, my time is not.  For
the cost of my time it took to track down the problem and fix it they could
have purchased an entire server (well half of one anyway).  Not to mention
lost productivity by their employees.

OTOH they get sucked in by DELL to buy a machine with SCSI drives running at
15K RPM but only 60 gigs, and they don't dare open the server to drop a new
drive in (or don't know how).  That is what is really sad.  They had SCSI
superfast drives so small that it was totally choked up with garbage.  How
fast was that in the end?

Plus everyone in a small company is running around trying to get work done,
not really watching these kinds of things.

I am betting that they spent more on their three servers from Dell than I
spent in building and maintaining my servers, and mine have dedicated raid
cards with terabyte storage.  I spend the bucks though because I know the
need and the consequences.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting