[AccessD] Windows Home Server running on a virtual machine

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Jan 12 19:42:52 CST 2008

Here's a novel concept, can I run WHS as a virtual machine on Virtual Server
or Virtual PC?  IOW can I take the migration tool (VMWare or Windows)
install it on the underlying WHS Windows 2003 OS, take a snapshot of the
software, take the virtual PC (or VMWare equivalent) file and move it into a
virtual server?

Why would I do this?  RAID!!!

I have two fairly high powered servers with terabyte raid arrays.  The one
glaring weakness of WHS is that it does not support raid, and these machines
already have raid set up on them.  Thus WHS would boot off of and store onto
RAID automatically.  Plus as I understand it, a virtual PC can only use a
single core so WHS will grab a core and as much memory as I give it and just
sit there chugging.

I think I like this idea.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting