[AccessD] Citrix Access Essentials and Access

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Tue Jan 15 08:12:56 CST 2008

All,

  Anyone have *direct* experience with Access and Citrix Access Essentials?

  I have a client that uses Access 2000/2003 FE's against a SQL Server 2000
BE and is currently moving from AZ to OH.  As part of that move, their
moving to all new hardware.

  The services company taking care of the hardware is strongly suggesting
that they use Citrix Access Essentials to handle remote users.  Currently
they are using remote desktop to support remote users.  They only have a few
remote users at present (approx 5) and their will be a dedicated server to
take care of them.

  I don't have any direct experience with Citrix although I've heard good
things about it over the years.  My concerns are that it's not clear to me
exactly what/how it does things in comparison to a straight RDP session,
which I understand fairly well (even printing<g>).

  End user deployment and use will be extremely simplified as they will
access the apps through a standard web browser, but it's the under the hood
stuff that worries me.

  Any thoughts, comments, etc.

Jim.