[AccessD] Old Dog - New Tricks

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Jan 28 03:11:34 CST 2008

Hi Rocky, Jim, Jack, Stuart et al

I had the same considerations - and went for Visual Studio 2005 Standard after good advice from several list members.
One important reason was that most of these list members join the db-vb list. So do I now and we hope to build a list at the same level that the accessd list.

By the way, look up the thread from April, October, and November 2007, "Dot Net, where to start?", which returned a lot of useful links to articles, books, code, and free videos including this from Arthur:

Found the JumpStart code download and the book:

  http://examples.oreilly.com/vbjumpstart/
  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/vbjumpstart/

This - with your Access background - is highly recommended.

/gustav

>>> rockysmolin at bchacc.com 26-01-2008 16:45:39 >>>
Dear List:

I am trying to decide what to do when I grow up.  Access is great but I
think the market for indies like myself is declining and I'm thinking that I
need to learn some new tricks.  The question is just what to learn.

I like developing small business applications - that's my strength.  So that
would be my target market.  But what platform?

I suppose whatever it is had better be web friendly.  Everyone seems to want
their databases and applications to reside on the web.  Or, if local, run
them in a browser.

So what should I learn?  VB.Net?  ASP?
I already have Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition which I got at a
Microsoft Launch and includes SQL Server 2005.
I also have VB 2008 Express Edition and Visual Web Developer.
I also have Front Page but that's been obsolete by Expressions which I can
get from the Web.

But I don't know how these different components relate.  Is ASP part of
Visual Studio?  Is ASP to .NET as DAO is to Access?  Can you deploy a .Net
app to the web or do you use something like Expressions to do it?  What
should I learn?

Maybe I can combine what I need to learn with a Microsoft tutorial that will
get me back into the Partner Program.

I'm a bit at sea here as you can tell.  But assuming that I don't lay down
and let the feeling pass, I think it's time to start taking a serious look
at what I'm going to do for the next ten years. Probably a couple years past
due, actually.

Any advice/experience is of course, welcome.

Regards,

Rocky