[AccessD] OT - Whatever became of ...

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 1 14:30:14 CDT 2008

William:  I've never really left, not having ever unsubscribed since the days of AccessD, but find less time to play in the list as my program development duties have been replaced by others more related to my legal training.  I'm still involved in some Access development as the only employee who knows how to create a query and there are always changes in the business that require accomodation.  I am still with the same company though I took a couple years off to create a lawyer's database with document management system.

I'm now up to a maximum of 55 concurrent users on a 60 megabyte BE and we will likely be pushing 100 users in a few years so the time will definitely come for a move to a different database engine.  The IT people who have been my nemesis for the last 10 years will probably deal with any migration and I will likely be fully locked out at that point.  Since I built the system to handle hardware and bandwidth constraints, it is still holding up well even though all the main entry froms are bound.

I am currently the Health and Safety manager of the company with offices in Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Edmonton, Calgary, Kelowna, Vancouver and Arlington WA and earn better than triple and maybe quadruple what I was making the first couple years of my Access adventures.  The position requires me to be in all locations several times a year so there is a fair bit of travel.  Nonetheless, I am able to spend every weekend at home and a few extra weeks at my home town office.

List posts come to my hotmail account which I check two or three times a week and there are times when I delete most of the posts, but there are frequently topics that interest me.  It's fun to see some of the old names and I still read nearly every post by Gustav.  Just this past week I posted a solution to an inquiry about counting files of a type in a folder.  The actual solution was terse without error handling and no mention of checking for the path like I probably would have mentioned in the past.

I'm kicking back today since it's Canada Day, eh.  Enjoy the 4th bubba.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta
jwelz at hotmail.com