[AccessD] Same tables, Different data source (ODBC)

Joe O'Connell joeo at appoli.com
Mon Jul 7 22:05:09 CDT 2008

Mark,

I have not worked with Oracle databases, but I have used code similar to
this to change table links to different SQL Server databases located on
the same server.  If the first characters of the connection string for
Oracle are not "ODBC", then change the value assigned to strSQLPrefix.
You should also add error checking.

Joe O'Connell

Public Sub ChangeLinks(ByVal strDatabase As String)
    Dim lngBeg As Long
    Dim lngEnd As Long
    Dim strConn As String
    Dim tdf As TableDef
    Dim strSQLPrefix As String
    strSQLPrefix = "ODBC"
    For Each tdf In CurrentDb.TableDefs
        If Len(tdf.Connect) > 0 Then
            If Left$(tdf.Connect, Len(strSQLPrefix)) = strSQLPrefix Then
                strConn = tdf.Connect
                lngBeg = InStr(1, strConn, "DATABASE=") + 8
                lngEnd = InStr(lngBeg, tdf.Connect, ";")
                strConn = Left(tdf.Connect, lngBeg) & strDatabase _
                        & Right(tdf.Connect, Len(tdf.Connect) - lngEnd +
1)
                tdf.Connect = strConn
                tdf.RefreshLink
            End If