[AccessD] Downgrading Vista

Edward S Zuris edzedz at comcast.net
Mon Jul 14 12:17:22 CDT 2008

 Here is an old trick.  And it isn't for
 the faint hearted.

 I repair PC's as a side line, thus I get
 to do this from time to time.

 But before you try that please share
 the make and model of your new computer
 with the rest of us.  Maybe someone has
 the same system and can give some
 pointers.

 You'll want to visit the manufacture to
 see what drivers are available.

 And you will want a generic XP install CD.

 If there are no drivers and no generic
 XP install CD, then you have a challenge.

 you'll have to find XP install CD and
 learn what the internal components are
 and contact the sub-manufacture for drivers.

 Anyway, the basic outline is:

 Build a DOS boot Floppy or CD.

 Boot from the floppy or CD.

 Use FDISK to wipe out all the disk partitions.

 FDISK has to be rebooted after each little task.

 Reboot after each deleted partition.

 Create new a new partition using FDISK.

 Reboot.

 Format the partition.

 Boot the XP install disk.

 Install XP.

 Install at least the first two service packs.

 Then comes the tedious part of getting the
 drivers to work for each and every device.

 Since the computers I work on are usually
 dead to start with, I don't have to worry
 about saving any old data.

 What can I say, Its a living.

 The warning from Charlotte about down rev'ing
 is alarming.   That just might start a move to
 look for different OS's.