[AccessD] OT Kinda: New Computer

Doug Steele dbdoug at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 12:51:51 CDT 2008

This is a copy of an email I sent to Mark privately (didn't want to get my
hand spanked), but now that the topic is not so off-topic, it might be of
interest:

I bought my first Macbook (13") a couple of months ago, and am using it as
my secondary development machine for all my Access databases (when I'm out
of the office, which is quite often).  I use VMWare Fusion, and have
separate virtual machines set up for all the different versions of Access
that I use (97, 2000, 2003, 2007).  It works very well.

Things I've learned:
1. When you set up a virtual machine, 8 gb is barely enough for Win XP Pro
and Office.  If you try to enlarge a VM it is tricky (needs a Linux CD).
2. 2GB RAM is barely enough for 1 VM; I have now gone to 4GB and it will run
2 VMs nicely.
3. If you change the RAM usable for a VM after setting it up, Windows needs
to be reactivated.  It's gone through automatically every time so far, but
it gave me a heart attack the first time.

One other item:  the keyboard differences are a bit of a nuisance.  I've
found that I need to have the On-Screen Keyboard from Microsoft handy for
things like 'Break'.

Doug Steele