[AccessD] Weekend OT: Russia today by seven yearsoldboy'seyes...

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Sun Jul 27 09:31:23 CDT 2008

Thank you, Rocky,

And you're welcome to St.Petersburg, Russia...

<<<
it's a long way from New York to San Diego

Well, there are planes you know :)

When traveling to Seattle, WA, two years ago I have started here at home
where I live on North West of St.Petersburg, Russia around 6 a.m. and I was
in Seattle around 11 p.m. *the same day* :)

Well, because of time difference that was a long 36+ hours trip but the fact
it was that long was because of the French custom officers who didn't allow
me to cross the borders for a minute to connect in Paris where I did come
from St.Petersburg for a direct flight to Seattle (I didn't have Shengen
Visa and these guys were severe and were following verbatim all
instructions) - but I was a kind of lucky this day (I could have ended up
forced to go back to Russia) - but the lady from the airline I flied with to
the States did help me to find in 15 minutes a connection flight to Detroit
but I have to wait 4 hours in Paris, then I went to Detroit and had to wait
some time there also but finely safely arrive the same day to Seattle and my
luggage(!) came with me - I have got a rented car and here you are driving
American highway night time first time in my life - that was another portion
of good stress because that highway wasn't illuminated good enough and I
needed to find my way in anew for me country by myself driving the car by
highway and having just some contact information and a map, which I didn't
see that well while driving because if was rather dark and because there was
no that much places to stop and I needed to drive fast etc. :)

This long trip and waiting in Detroit allowed me to watch how the everyday's
airport life - all the same - all around the world - what was great their in
Detroit were connection trains - there is no something like that in Moscow's
airport area hence the trouble with connection...

To make the story short - I have found my way - and I liked your country - I
should have born there on the West in America - next life probably :)

BTW, FYI: non-stop flight Los-Angeles -> Moscow I did use on my way back is
just 11 or 12 hours - if you're lucky to quickly connect in Moscow to
St.Petersburg (which isn't easy to do because Russian airport service there
in Moscow is very slow with luggage unloaded and connecting to local flight
MSK -> SPB you have to get you luggage connected/brought with you - but if
you're lucky, your flight arrived in time, you didn't have luggage then you
can connect to SPB and be here in one hour, then one hour drive to my home
from airport from the South of Spb to North - all in all - if you live near
to the airport in Los-Angeles and if they ever allow to check-in for the
flights as before just one hour or less in advance then you can be in SPB in
14-15 hours starting from Los Angeles - maybe even quicker - good connection
points to SPB are Amsterdam, London, Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Hamburg,
Stockholm or Helsinki - and they do connect to SPB better and quicker than
in Moscow - and you can be here probably in 12 hours(?) - not sure about the
latter...

...then another 1+ hour drive and you're in the village Sosnovo you have
seen in the movie of my son :)

Closing that OT thread now.

Thank you everybody for letting me this OT here and for your kind references
on my son work.

Welcome to St.Petersburg, Russia! :)

--
Shamil