[AccessD] Hamachi as service

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Jun 1 20:48:46 CDT 2008

Logmein actually purchased Hamachi from the original
developers.  Logmein is a remote access solution, but it is
fundamentally different from Hamachi, and they are used for
different things.

Hamachi is a VPN (Virtual Private Network) which can include
computers all over the world if you so desire.  People use
it to set up game networks where gamers sit in their own
home, and "log in" to a network created using Hamachi.
Hamachi is NOT the remote access portion of the picture, it
is a "virtual network" solution, networking 2 or more
computers together, USUALLY across the internet.

If you have a network, it is often useful to use Remote
Desktop to control (for example) the wife's or the son's
computer downstairs from your own computer upstairs.  Or in
a business you might want to log in to the server in another
building from your own desktop, or just remote into another
user's machine.

As you probably know, NAT (Network Address Translation)
causes each computer within your network to be assigned an
IP Address, usually in the range of 192.168.x.x.  The
problem with NAT addresses is that they "interfere" with
remote desktop, particularly coming in from the outside
through a router.  By default, Remote Desktop uses port 3398
as the remote access port.  In order to come in through the
router, each machine has to be assigned a static IP address
by the router, and then port forwarding turned on, and
"ports" forwarded to specific IP addresses.  It just becomes
messy.

I use Hamachi to set up a network within my own network,
which can then be accessed from outside of my network.
Hamachi assigns a "real" unique IP address to each computer
in the network.  That IP is visible in the little Hamachi
screen, and that IP can be directly addressed for Remote
desktop or VNC.  You can also directly browse shares on
remote machines, drag and drop files from remote shares onto
your machine and vice versa.

Because I run only Windows XP Pro or Windows 2003, both of
which contain Remote Desktop built in, I can then use remote
desktop from my laptop to control any of the computers in my
Hamachi network.  Remote desktop is extremely fast in
painting the screen of the remote computer, i.e. it is
"responsive", making it seem as if you are sitting right
there at the remote computer.  Furthermore it is free and it
is EXACTLY like I am there.  But the "remote access" server
has to be running on the remote machine, whether VNC or
Remote Desktop.

I am not proposing Hamachi over something like LogMeIn, I am
just discussing the differences between them and what
Hamachi does.  Hamachi is by definition a NETWORK, not
remote access per se.

LogMeIn is probably a BETTER solution in many instances.
For example I am finding myself providing technical
assistance to friends and family.  LogMeIn is designed
expressly for that.  You do not need to install VNC or have
a version of windows which supports the Remote Desktop
server (XP Pro or 2003 server etc.).  For those situations,
LogMeIn would allow direct computer to computer connection.

That said, I find Hamachi and Remote Desktop fits my
purposes when I want to be able to jump around an entire
network of my machines.

However I will definitely be looking in to LogmeIn for my
"friend support" platform.