[AccessD] VBA Unbound data entry / update form

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Tue Jun 10 18:00:56 CDT 2008

Arrogant A$$, insolent ideas?

Sheesh JC.  First of all, I am very proud of AccessD, in fact I was
honored to be asked to be a member of the Board of Directors for
Database Advisors.  Still am.  What I am proud of with this organization
is that it is a wonderful environment for all Access users, both newbies
and pros, and everything in between.  You and I have butted heads
before.  We have even butted heads on this specific topic.  The end of
the last battle over this was a consensus that there was nothing wrong
with either bound or unbound forms, that each had their place and usage.
I stuck to my ground on that one (and others), because I don't want an
educational organization, like this one, that I belong too, to preach
'our way or the highway', or 'this is a bad practice cause it can be
used incorrectly if you don't know what you are doing'.  If you want the
posts from way back then, I'll send them to you.A majority of the
unbound/bound debate was the 'bounders' claiming there was never a
reason to use an unbound form.  That 'replicating' SOME of the bound
capabilities (like reading and writing data) was pointless because a
bound form already did that.  And I defended my position that there are
and is a time and place to use unbound forms.

Now, you started this thread.  Asked for an unbound solution to a
problem you were having with a bound form.  I gave you a solution that
solved every problem you were having.  You disregarded my solution
because your customer is dictating the table design. Granted, I think
that's idiotic.  Which spun you off into a whirlwind.  Hey, great, it's
your customer, and your problem.  So THEN, I posted WHY you would
continue to have a problem trying to go unbound with the same table
design.  And the summation of which was that the overlapping of user
input was already handled by the bound form, and it was handling the
overlapping usage clash in essentially the best way available.  Going
unbound, you will end up with the EXACT same problem that the initial
developers of Access had with the bound method.  If you want to try to
come up with a better bound form, be my guest.

However, THIS is why I keep replying to this thread:

"Which leads us squarely back to update strategies, and testing for
modifications by other users.  All that good stuff that the "unbounders"
claim to handle but have never piped up with even general strategies,
never mind code." -JWC

"I suspect there are several classes of unbounders hiding out there,
those that...
1) Don't handle it and don't want to admit it.
2) Handle it but the code was reaaaaaaaaallllllly messy and don't want
to admit it.
3) Use "first wins" strategy and don't want to admit it.
4) Spent so much time and effort doing it correctly that they don't
really want to give their work away." -JWC

If you want to spin your wheels on a problem by attacking it from left
field, be my guest.  But stop posting garbage like this then!  I for
one, don't want a new Access User avoiding an unbound solution that
works better then a bound solution, because you keep posting this
garbage.

Before you reply to this (if you do), look at this discussion like this:

User: I've heard a lot about frameworks, and I have a problem that I
think frameworks can fix.
JWC: Ok, here's how to start building a framework.......
User: I can't use class modules in this project, because the customer
doesn't want class modules....
JWC: Well to build a framework properly, you really need to use class
modules....
User: You don't understand, I must bend my will to my customer, and must
design the stuff that the users will never see exactly like the customer
wants. You're a poopy head and aren't helping me at all. I need a
framework without classes that will do everything my heart desires and
you're an idiot for not being able to help me with that.
JWC: Ok, good luck with that.
User: Man, I've heard all these wonderful things about frameworks, but
apparently they don't work at all because I can't fix my problem with
them.

That is EXACTLY how this thread is going between you and I JC.  An
unbound approach STARTS with table design.  Without that, all you are
doing is disconnecting a recordset (which in a situation that a bound
form would work, does nothing to help you).

Drew