[AccessD] Slow day - normalization discusion

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 11:53:47 CDT 2008

Repetition isn't the only thing to consider:

1.) Smallest unit -- we think of those 7 digits as its own value. Therefore,
as a whole, the 7 digits aren't repeated, but some numbers have the same
first 3 digits in common. You can find that commonality in all kinds of
values. So, when you look at the digits as a whole, they aren't truly
repeated values.

2.) Data entry -- consider how much work will be necessary to put those two
values back together to faciliate data entry. Normalization aside, human
beings aren't use to entering 3 digits and then 4 -- it will only confuse
people and slow down data entry.

Susan H.