[AccessD] OT: "Baby Machine" 60 years today

DJK(John) Robinson djkr at msn.com
Sat Jun 21 12:06:47 CDT 2008

Well spotted, Gustav.  I was at the celebration last night at Manchester
University.

I am too young to have had anything to do with the original, but did get my
first program working on the Ferranti Mark 1* just over 46 years ago.  Even
integer division (no floating-point at all!) had to be programmed, yet the
machine I used spent much of its time doing matrix arithmetic, calculating
the stresses and strains in an aircraft wing during take-off.

I also used a powerful successor, Atlas, at MU, when the Atlas Bureau
Service first opened in (?)January 1963;  I was refining a technique for
finding the roots of complex transcendental functions - just in case you
were about to ask.  One of the novel features of Atlas was the One-Level
Store (virtual memory), 'invented' many years later by IBM.

Hey ho.
John