[AccessD] How to get my Word document open

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Wed Jun 25 01:33:55 CDT 2008

Hi Tina
My suggestion is to create a module and put this RunApp function in it

Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32" Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal
hWnd As Long, _
  ByVal lpOperation As String, ByVal lpFile As String, ByVal lpParameters As
String, _
  ByVal lpDirectory As String, ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long

Function RunApp(strFile As String, bytSize) As Boolean
    Dim lngRet As Long
    Dim varTaskID As Variant
    Dim strRet As String

    lngRet = ShellExecute(hWndAccessApp, vbNullString, strFile,
vbNullString, vbNullString, bytSize)
    If lngRet > Success Then
        strRet = vbNullString
        lngRet = -1
        RunApp = True
    Else
        RunApp = False
        Select Case lngRet
            Case NotRegistered
                varTaskID = Shell("rundll32.exe shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL "
& strFile, bytSize)
                lngRet = (varTaskID <> 0)
            Case InadequateMemory
                MsgBox "Error:  Out of Memory/Resources!"
            Case FileNotFound
                MsgBox "Error:  File not found!"
            Case PathNotFound
                MsgBox "Error:  Path not found!"
            Case BadFormat
                MsgBox "Error:  Bad File Format!"
            Case 5
                MsgBox "Error:  Unauthorized due to Security restrictions!"
        End Select
    End If
End Function

Then you can open a Word doc, an Excel sheet, a PDF or anything else just by
a simple call to that, ie

Call RunApp("C:\Wherever\Whatever.doc", 1)

-- Andy Lacey
http://www.minstersystems.co.uk