[AccessD] Error 3048 Cannot open any more databases

Darryl Collins Darryl.Collins at coles.com.au
Tue Mar 4 18:22:48 CST 2008

Hey folks,

Sorry to bug you with this, Having a lot of, ummm, 'fun' with this database I am building. Stand alone, it works great, with 5 or so users it works great, over a WAN with multi users it gets very wobbly and corrupts easily.

Decided that it has to be split into FE and BE, which I have done manually and linked up the tables. When the DB opens it populates a listbox with choices for the user as before fine.  However when the users selects an option which opens the data-entry form (and associated subforms) I get this lovely error

"Error 3048 Cannot open any more databases"

on this line
sSQL = "SELECT * FROM tbl_FYP_APLID WHERE (((FYPID)=" & lFYPID & ") AND ((tbl_FYP_APLID.APLID)=" & lAPLID & "));"
[Forms]![frm_FYP_APLID].RecordSource = sSQL

Now I know clearly that I must have too "many databases open", but exactly what the hell does that mean? how did it happen and how can I either 1: increase the amount of DB's I can have open, or close down some of the offending databases?

The only clue I have found online is if you don't SET your delcared CurrentDB to NOTHING when you are done with it, But the code in this workbook doesn't work like that at all and the modules that do use SET current DB, does set them to nothing when finished.  Most confusing.

Can anyone shed some light on this. Sorry about all the questions - working under lot of pressure and learning on the fly.  Educational for sure, but I am getting through more and more scotch in the evening!!

:) Darryl.

This email and any attachments may contain privileged and confidential information and are intended for the named addressee only. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail immediately. Any confidentiality, privilege or copyright is not waived or lost because this e-mail has been sent to you in error. It is your responsibility to check this e-mail and any attachments for viruses.  No warranty is made that this material is free from computer virus or any other defect or error.  Any loss/damage incurred by using this material is not the sender's responsibility.  The sender's entire liability will be limited to resupplying the material.