[AccessD] Software to repair corrupt database

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Mar 15 07:15:42 CDT 2008

Hi Tina

First, you could double-check with the service of Garry Robinson:

  http://www.vb123.com/fixaccess/

Then I would rather spend yours and the client's limited resources on dealing with the sources for corruption:

  - split the database
  - arrange for a decent backup to a different or external drive
  - use Win98 for simple lookups and the like
  - perform mail merge on the most powerful machine

Should be quite easy to carry out ...

The only tools I have used for repairing databases is JetComp and a hex editor.

/gustav

>>> tinanfields at torchlake.com 15-03-2008 12:52 >>>
Hi All,

A local organization has a nice database of donors, members, and similar
stuff.  It was probably first crafted in A97.  I did not build it, but
know the developer who did (he's a very talented guy who keeps
disappearing).  The organization has the database on a small server with
three or four computers having access to the database.  The database is
not split into BE and FE, it is simply shared.  The computers used for
accessing the database are of different operating systems, of course,
ranging from Win98 to WinXP.

The Win98 machine was being used to run a mail merge acknowledgement
letter in Word that is populated by a parameter select query in the
database.  The Win98 machine choked and froze.  The database was
unusable after that.  The message received whenever one tried to open it
was "<database file> isn't an index in this table. Look in the indexes
collection of the TableDef object to determine the valid index names."
Clear case of corruption!

I had been working to fix a wrecked mail-merge document, so was present
when the system froze.  I asked about the most recent backup and was
told that they had no idea how the backup was done, but their network
guru said it was done automatically.  Great! say I, get the backup from
Jim and we will go back to the mail-merge.  Well, they would have to
call Jim. . . . A week later, I had heard nothing back from them so I
called.  Well, Jim said the whole system is automatically backed up, but
he can't just get the Access database out for them.  Jim and his group
have been trying to repair the database, but they haven't succeeded.

Meanwhile, I've been out looking for software to repair corrupted Access
databases, and I've found a couple that let me run a demo for free, but
will cost about $300 USD to actually get the output file.  They are:
Advanced Access Repair from Data Numen Inc. and AccessFIX from
Cimaware.  They appear to work, although AccessFIX demo indicated that
part of the structure couldn't be determined without a copy to compare
to.  (That would not be awfully difficult, because whenever I visit this
organization I make a backup copy of the database, so the dated copy I
made in October of 2006 is still there.)  The $300 USD price-tag is a
bit stiff.

I found a repair service at corruptfilerepair.com.  I sent them the
zipped corrupt database, and they have sent me an email with a
screen-shot of the repaired database, showing the tables container and
one of the tables open.  If I am satisfied, they will send me a payment
link and I will pay them $39 USD and they will send back the repaired
database.  This price seems reasonable, and I am willing to pay that
much to get my friends back up and running.

For the future, I would like to have in my own possession a decent
utility for repairing corrupt databases.  What can you, my favorite team
of real gurus, tell me about such software?

Thanks for all help,
Tina