[AccessD] Database Replication

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 16:22:18 CDT 2008

I haven't gone that far, but I did get as far as 75 replicas and had no
trouble. To be perfectly accurate, the 75 replicas were in four branch
offices, each of which had a central replica on a server, then synchronized
with all the branch replicas. At HQ the server replica synchronized with the
four branch offices. The system worked perfectly without so much as a hiccup
in over a year, at which point, through no fault of the replication stuff,
we moved to SQL Server.

If you want to hang 200 replicas off a single HQ replica, I would put the
synchronizer on a machine running little or nothing else, and similarly for
the HQ replica. Both of these machines should be considered 365/24 machines.
The master replica can reside on your friend's development machine and be
manually synchronized with the HQ replica, so s/he can make changes without
immediately broadcasting them until s/he is ready to do so.

Incidentally, I first went down this road after replicating to just the main
servers in the branches. But then I realized that using replicas on all the
local PCs was a terrific way to cut down the net traffic inherent in typical
FE/BE scenarios (combo and listbox contents being copied down the wire over
and over again, etc.).

When you pause to consider the amount of data actually communicated during a
synchronization, it's tiny -- a few k in both directions if the
syncrhonization is relatively frequent. How many rows can even a really fast
typist enter in 5 minutes? And in a well normalized database, most of the
values will be ints or dates or money, with a few text fields here and
there, so what does that add up to? Not much.

hth,
Arthur