[AccessD] OT:Backup and Restore Complete PCs

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon Mar 24 13:47:44 CDT 2008

Actually, in Acronis, you can specify special drivers you want to
restore, or not restore.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2008 1:23 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] OT:Backup and Restore Complete PCs

Drew,

While technically correct, what it is restoring does not contain the
drivers
for the machine being restored to.  For a rather extreme example,
suppose
that the machine that you are imaging has a raid 1 array for the boot
disk
but the machine being restored to only has a single disk and no raid
functionality.  Or that the NIC chip is by a completely different
company.
Or that the chipset on one is Nvidia but on the restore machine is
Intel.
Etc.

The restore might occur but the chance that the restore computer will be
happy when it tries to boot is remote.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting