[AccessD] VB6 stability

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Fri Mar 28 10:52:52 CDT 2008

VB6 is extremely stable.  From a programming aspect, there are three
instances I know of where the debug mode (running a program within VB
itself, instead of a compiled state) can get flaky.  One is using
subclassed forms (putting an icon in the system tray for a form).  If
you just 'stop' or end the program before unhooking the subclassed icon,
VB6 will crash.  The second method is multithreading.  VB6 will not
multithread in debug mode, but you can create a multithreaded .exe.  The
final method is in creating NT services.  I do this using an NTService
OCX.  Works great, but if you try to run it in normal mode, instead of
debug mode, VB crashes.

As for compiled programs, however, I've never had a problem with .exes
being 'unstable'.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of O'Connor,
Patricia (OTDA)
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2008 9:45 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: [AccessD] VB6 stability

Hi All
Quick question - someone in my office was told that VB6 is unstable
This is the first I have ever heard of this. Since so many people here
(genius and gurus)
use many different softwares I figured if VB6 was unstable it would be
told here

If it is unstable - why, in what area, or is this an effort for someone
to justify why they use and/or to push using something else.

I have used Vb for years and never really had any problems.

TIA
Patti

* Patricia O'Connor
* (W) mailto:Patricia.O'Connor at otda.state.ny.us
* (w) mailto:aa1160 at nysemail.state.ny.us
This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged
or otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee.
If you received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not
authorized to send it to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use
this e-mail or its attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by
reply e-mail and delete the e-mail from your system.