[AccessD] Some Advice on Web Front end and ? backend

Eric Barro ebarro at verizon.net
Sun Mar 30 11:31:20 CDT 2008

Darryl,

Try a hosted Sharepoint environment.

1. It comes with a pretty standardized web application user interface so you
don't need to design a UI.
2. The back end is SQL server and on hosted solutions it comes as part of
the deal. Which means that you don't need to deal with maintaining the
back-end database.
3. It has integrated security with Windows Server 2003/2008 and should also
come as part of the hosting package. Which means you don't have to deal with
the OS configuration and maintenance.
4. You can customize the UI with the built-in web controls using drag and
drop functionality via IE (doesn't work well with FireFox or Netscape...it
is after all a Microsoft product!). You can add calendaring, discussion
groups, document libraries, links, and they can even publish their Excel
spreadsheets to a Sharepoint list and update that list from within Excel or
the Sharepoint UI and have it synch up.
5. With the document libraries they can upload their docs (any type) to the
Sharepoint site and share them that way.

Eric