[AccessD] DotNetNuke

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Sun May 25 12:03:42 CDT 2008

John,

» They have not volunteered to do so. «

I imagine they wouldn't!  I use CrystalTech and they're DotNetNuke
enabled and all.  They have a helper script that initiates the
DotNetNuke installation process...but they're not in the business of
upgrading old versions of DNN.  Too much support, methinks.

Speaking of support, I've gotten good results on the DNN forums
themselves.  I had some snarled up upgrade issues a few months ago and
with some determined forum mining and postings and experimentation, I
got my issues resolved.  It also helped my understanding of the DNN
framework.

» They also said they suggest that I just build it over from scratch,
which I will probably do. «

That would be cleanest.  I have to say that you need to be mindful of
the changes in DNN's SQL Server tables.  You would be happier with the
outcome, I believe, if you made a backup of your SQL Server and then
deleted all the DNN tables, sprocs, and views, and roles.  That should
get rid of the PK files, too.

Then, when you start from scratch, you might consider taking advantage
of changing the DNN "object qualifer".  That's simply a prefix that's
tacked onto each table that DNN creates on your SQL Server.  It's an
optional field in the Install Wizard.  The usual qualifier is "dnn_".
I used "nuke_" to get around my upgrade issues since I hadn't deleted
my old tables -- I renamed them all to retain the data I DID have.

» I use workgroups and I am very hesitant to not use
simple file sharing since that may turn off my file sharing
around my network.  This is just me here, but I have about 7
computers on my network and I need to be able to see shares
around the system. «

I have 5 or 6 PCs on my home network and I believe I'm the only one
that has simple file sharing turned off.  My ability to see the other
shares isn't affected.  According to the Help and Support Center:

"If simple file sharing is enabled, you see the simple file sharing
user interface appears instead of the Security and Sharing tabs. By
default, this new user interface is implemented in Windows XP Home
Edition and in Microsoft Windows XP Professional if you are working in
a workgroup. If you turn off simple file sharing, the classic Security
and Sharing tabs appear, and you can specify which users and groups
have access to shared folders on your computer.

"Note To allow for specific users to access the share folder after the
simple file sharing is disabled, you should configure both the NTFS
permissions on the Security tab and the share permission on the
Sharing tab of the share folder. NTFS permissions can only be set on a
partition using NTFS file system. If you remove the Every Group from
the NTFS permission, you cannot access the share folder over the
network."

» I am looking at the virtual directory from IIS and there is a dialog
with a bunch of tabs, but ASP.Net is not one of them.  Unfortunately
web stuff and IIS is not my strong suit. «

Mine neither.  I can't figure out why the Properties for the folders
under Internet Information Services | Web Sites | Default Web Site
have three different sets of tabs.  Some have:

Directory, Documents, Directory Security, HTTP Headers, Custom Errors,
and ASP.NET.

Others have "Virtual Directory" instead of "Directory" with all the
rest the same.

Still others have an extra tab called "Server Extensions".  Beats me.

There is another item that might apply to you, but it REQUIRES you to
turn off Simple File Sharing:

1) Open Windows Explorer and navigate to your DotNetNuke folder
(whatever its name is)

2) Right-click on the folder name and select Properties

3) Click the Security tab

4) Look through the list of "Group or user names" to see if there's an
"ASP.NET Machine Account".

If you DON'T see the "ASP.NET Machine Account", then you need to close
the dialog box, use Windows Explorer's Folder Options to turn off
simple file sharing, and return to the Security page of the DotNetNuke
folder's properties box.

To proceed:

5) The "aspnet" user should have been created when the .NET Framework
was installed, but you need to create it here in the DotNetNuke
Security properties and give that user access to modify that folder.
So click the Add button underneath the list of Group or user names.

6) In the "Select Users or Groups" dialog box, type "aspnet" into the
box labeled "Enter the object names to select".  The "Check Names"
button should be enabled once you start typing "aspnet".

7) Click the "Check Names" button and Windows will REPLACE "aspnet"
with the proper, fully-qualified name.  On my system it's
"WEASLEY\ASPNET".

8) Click OK to accept this user.

9) Back at the Security tab, make sure the new ASP.NET Machine User
name is selected and check the Modify attribute under "Permissions for
ASP.NET Machine Account".  The Read & Execute, List Folder Contents,
Read, and Write boxes should be checked, too.

10)  Click OK.

Sorry for the long routine, but it's necessary if you don't have an
ASP.NET Machine User.

Steve Erbach