[AccessD] VBA Unbound data entry / update form

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue May 27 08:18:45 CDT 2008

As you folks know, I am a "bound" kinda guy.  However I need
to develop an unbound form to get the data from a record,
display it in a form, allow the user to edit the data, then
write the data back to the database.

Since I know some of you have gone through the heartbreak of
doing this, I'm looking for clues on how to approach this.

Do you use an ADO recordset which you disconnect?  How do
you perform the checking to discover if the data has been
changed by another user while you had a record open and
disconnected?  Do you attempt to do form level checks that
the user is entering (for example) a date in a date field,
integer in an integer field etc.?  If you do this, do you do
so using the field properties to "discover" what data type
or do you just "hard code it"?  IOW has anyone attempted to
"match" controls on a form to fields in a recordset by using
a control naming convention kind of thing?

This sounds like a "class" system.  Does anyone have classes
they would like to share to demonstrate how you go about this?

TIA for your assistance.