[AccessD] VBA Unbound data entry / update form

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed May 28 18:03:53 CDT 2008

 > Question, are the people entering this data ever actually
EDITING information?

I don't sit and look over their shoulder, however I suspect
that they do.  These records are any and all "contacts" with
a specific individual or company.  Any given claim now has
hundreds of contacts.  As I listed before there are
literally dozens or even hundreds of different people that
may be contacted to process a claim.  These are disability
claims so there may be employers, witnesses, friends,
acquaintances, lawyers, doctors, hospitals, pharmacies,
spouses, children, neighbors, dogs, cats, and the man in the
moon.  These claims can pay out 20K per month to a doctor on
disability, this is BIG money and they track (and check up
on) EVERYTHING.

I suspect that the reason they want all of the "contacts"
with any given entity in one record is simply for ease of
reading what was discussed with that contact.  Imagine 23
phone calls to try and get ahold of the spouse.  12 are no
answer, 5 are "I can't talk right now" and 2 are "here's the
skinny".  Now, if each of these are in a separate record,
separated in time and space with calls to the dog, the
milkman, the physician, some other physician, the private
investigator... Well... to some people it just makes sense
to have a single "spouse" contact record.  Dump it all in,
in date order, plainly marked and be done.

This is not a computer fix it help desk where there are a
handful of calls and the problem is fixed, there are a
minimum of dozens and often several hundred contacts in many
cases.  I have seen one case where there were around 250
contacts with JUST the spouse, trying to get her to repay an
overpayment.  And any given claim won't always have specific
contacts, some have spouses, some don't, some have lawyers,
some don't, some have 20 DIFFERENT lawyers (and physicians,
and hospitals, and drug stores).

Soo... yea, they are constantly editing the memo fields,
adding new info about contacting that entity.  Each
"contact" is date / time stamped with the initials of the
person making contact, embedded right in the text.  I know
that they do use searches right in the memo field looking
for keywords and what is the point of clicking "again" 47
times to read 47 "no answer" records?

I just don't "get" what the point is, and why the fixation
on splitting the memo into different records.

If I split it up, how do I reassemble all the milkman
contacts, all the physician contacts, all the spouse, dog,
cat, neighbor etc.  More to the point, why bother?  They
have a system that works, all it needs is to not lock the
record when the field is edited.  I can do that with
Gustav's unbound memo and a lock field.

I think the time spent fixating on normalizing things would
be better spent on examining your navel.