[AccessD] Been Dazed and Confused for so long it's not true.

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Fri May 30 11:45:51 CDT 2008

Hey, in your experiments there is something else you should keep in
mind.  There is a difference between writing to memo field in code, and
writing to one with the Access interface:

In code, you are limited to the max size of the database for data
entered into a memo field (ie, 2 gig in A2k and up).  With the Access
interface, you can only enter 64k.

Just a thought to keep in mind while you tinker! ;)

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 11:34 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: [AccessD] Been Dazed and Confused for so long it's not true.

OK, now that I have my test code running...

I am locking all these records, and in the USER INTERFACE
(open a table and click in a record) the record is locked.
I cannot edit the memo IN THE TABLE.

BUT my code opens a recordset and can edit that exact same
record.  If (from in the table) I click records / remove
Filter/Sort the edit that I just performed in the recordset
shows in the memo field AND the record is STILL LOCKED
looking directly in the table - I still can't edit it
through the table directly.

I am using DAO recordsets to perform the edit.  Is there a
property that I am supposed to set to cause the DAO
recordset object to honor the locks?  To DAO records not see
the locks?

This is truly strange and not what I was expecting.