[AccessD] OT: Web Design

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Fri Nov 21 19:18:52 CST 2008

Raised a family here in the late 80's - they're now grown up.
Not sure where that wife is now :-)

My current partner is PNGean and we have a six year old daughter (and I'll be 60 in 3
montsh time <g>)

The picture is the downtown area of Port Moresby - the rest of the country is very different!

There are good international schools in Port Moresby - they use an Australian curriculum
and the students generally do *very* well in the Australian examinations!

Public healthcare is very primitve , but the private medical practitioners in Port Moresby are
fairly good.

Government is fairly stable, but also fairly corrupt.  The economy went through a bad patch
but is looking good - huge LNG prospects dveloping over the next few years will quadruple
the countries GDP - business confidence is high and there is a lot of development going on.

We're actually better off at the moment that the rest of the world - PNG was not really
exposed to the financial crisis and is a major exporter - even with the drop in commodity
prices it's on track for budget surpluses even after failry large  infrastructure/development
spending next year.

Law and Order is a bit of a problem - a lot of unemployment and crime in the urban centres,
but it's not as bad as the Australian media tries to make it seem.

The big plus is the lifestyle:

Great social life, great climate and a lot of freedom to do your own thing.

No speed cameras or breath testing - get stopped at a road block on your way home after a
night drinking at a club and the cop will probably as drunk as you are <g>

Cheers,
Stuart