[AccessD] A2003: Disk or Network Error

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Wed Oct 1 21:40:45 CDT 2008

Darren,

  One of the things I've found in the past that has caused problems are
machines loaded with a NIC dialog protocol.  3COM was one of the first to
use this.

  What happens when this type of protocol is loaded is that the NIC is
disconnected from the network for a short time, diags are run, and then it's
reconnected.  The time is so short most apps don't notice, but JET does.

  I've also seen in the past where when more then one protocol is loaded,
timeouts can occur if the client and server are not using the same default
protocol.  This hasn't been a problem in recent years as almost everything
is standardized on TCP/IP, but it's worth mentioning.

  Check the network properties and see if anything other then the TCP/IP
Protocol is loaded. If a diag protocol is in there, get rid of it.

  Beyond that, any type of network error can cause those issues (bad cable,
router, NIC, etc).  Also, one other thing I've seen that can cause these; a
TMP and/or TEMP environment variable that exists, but does not point to a
valid path or one that is not available.   Pretty rare now a days but again,
something worth mentioning.

HTH,
Jim.