[AccessD] print via check boxes..

Mark A Matte markamatte at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 14 10:41:17 CDT 2008

Kostas,

Ok....way out of the box...and I'm hoping for some criticism from some of the more experienced here.

I didn't really care for the table design in this...but here we go.

I created 2 tables:

tblJobs with 6 fields: Name, Billiards Pro,Doctor,Engineer,Analyst,Inventor
  the last 5 fields are your check boxes.

tblJobTitle with 1 field: JobTitle
  this table has 5 records...1 for each of your check boxes...the values in the field are the exact names of the check boxes:  Billiards Pro,Doctor,Engineer,Analyst,Inventor

I then created a function:

Function MyJob(MJ, MM)
Dim MyLookup
MyLookup = DLookup("[" & MJ & "]", "tblJobs", "name ='" & MM & "'")
MyJob = MyLookup
End Function

Then use a cartesian join and call the above function passing the name and jobtitle to the function.

SELECT tblJobs.Name, IIf(myjob([jobtitle],[name])=-1,[jobtitle],"") AS Jobs
FROM tblJobs, tblJobTitle
WHERE (((IIf(myjob([jobtitle],[name])=-1,[jobtitle],""))<>""))
ORDER BY IIf(myjob([jobtitle],[name])=-1,[jobtitle],"");

I don't know that this is the 'correct'/'cleanest' approach...but it does give the results you described.

I hope for comments on this one...seems like it would be a usable technique if cleaned up...but rarely needed.

Thanks,

Mark A. Matte