[AccessD] Building a spreadsheet from Access ... slow segment of code

Stephen stephen at bondsoftware.co.nz
Sat Sep 6 02:45:02 CDT 2008

The code segment below takes around 10 seconds to run.  The worksheet
has been just created in code, an embedded chart has been built on the
worksheet (again, code), and the code below is the 'prettying up' bit.
Yep, to get it, I recorded a macro in Excel and then commented out the
bits I didn't want/didn't work.

I put some rudimentary time checks at random places in this segment.
Embedded in the sample, I have put the elapsed time it took to get to
the indicated line.

Any ideas?  The rest of it runs really fast on a 6-year-old PC (768MB,
WinXP SP2, Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1529
Mhz) but I can't see why this is happening.  I am generating a couple of
hundred sheets at a time, so the slowness is not trivial.

TIA

Stephen Bond

' finally build print specs

    xlWs.Range("A1").Select

    With xlWb.ActiveSheet.PageSetup

        .PrintArea = ""

        .PrintTitleRows = ""

        .PrintTitleColumns = ""

        .LeftHeader = "&6&Z&F!&A"

  ' 0 seconds

        .CenterHeader = "&""Arial,Bold""&16&A"

        .RightHeader = "&6Printed &D &T"

        .LeftFooter = "&6Prepared by Stephen Bond for " & conUser1

        .CenterFooter = "&""Arial,Bold""&16&A"

        .RightFooter = "&6based on an idea by J McKinlay, Southland
Boys' High School"

  ' 3 seconds

    '    .LeftMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.75)

    '    .RightMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.75)

    '    .TopMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.75)

    '    .BottomMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.75)

    '    .HeaderMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.5)

    '    .FooterMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.5)

        .PrintHeadings = False

        .PrintGridlines = True

        .PrintComments = xlPrintNoComments

  ' 5 seconds