[AccessD] Change Field Type

Rocky Smolin at Beach Access Software rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Mon Sep 22 15:08:21 CDT 2008

I was hoping that wasn't the case.

Thanks.

Rocky Smolin
Beach Access Software
858-259-4334
www.e-z-mrp.com
www.bchacc.com

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Shamil
Salakhetdinov
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 12:57 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Change Field Type

Hi Rocky,

I'd think you have to:

- 1) create a new column with required data type;
- 2) set values of this new column using update SQL clause;
- 3) delete old column;
- 4) rename new column to the old column name;
- 5) change ordinal position for the renamed column (can be done in step (4)
- 6) set indexes for the new column if needed...
- 7) (re-)define relationships;

I can be wrong but I suppose that changing column type in code directly in
one step isn't possible...

As we all know it's possible to change column type in one direct step in
design mode but I'd suppose that "under the hood" the above sequence of
actions is performed...

Thank you.

--
Shamil