[AccessD] Dlookups. your opinion please.

Darryl Collins Darryl.Collins at coles.com.au
Wed Sep 24 19:36:43 CDT 2008

"the first thing I would do is convince the owners that the db needs to be rewritten from scratch, if at all possible"

oh yeah, that is not only possible, it is going to happen as that is precisely what we recommended to the client.  Tell us what data you have, tell what outcomes you need and we will (re)build it.  The current model is too risky and flawed for us to be bothered with. It will take longer to debug it then it would to rebuild it into a nice tight supported app.

Sadly for the client, (and good for us), we currently have about 4 months worth of work in the queue so this is just a(nother) band aid on the worst of their problems.  basically they want a quick and dirty fix to get them thru the next couple of reporting periods until we can rebuild it properly.

Not the greatest solution I admit and it comes with risks, but the client is aware of this and is ok for now. This is definately something middle of the road temp to keep most folks happier, if not happy.

thanks for everyone's input. It is really appreciated.

cheers
Darryl.