[AccessD] Choosing web technology

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Fri Apr 3 16:12:08 CDT 2009

I am self taught in pretty much everything, including the web stuff I
got into.  My personal recommendation is to start with HTML and ASP, to
learn and understand how web apps work.  Of course, this would almost be
like telling someone to learn Machine language if they wanted to learn
to program.

The difference is that web applications are a different beast from
normal Window's apps.  It's a client/server situation, that has it's own
quirks.

Once you are familiar with HTML and ASP, when you go to something like
ASP.NET, you do so with the understanding that ASP.NET is using
Javascript and server side stuff  to simulate a 'real time' environment,
even though such an environment really doesn't exist in the HTML world
of the web.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Mark A Matte
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 8:59 AM
To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: [AccessD] Choosing web technology

Hello All,

I have been interested in the past in moving from Access to something
'web based'...and have done a number of html and asp tutorials...but
would have to say I really don't know either.  It has been recently
suggested (at work) that I 'pick' something and learn it. Seems like a
broad generic request to me...but it is from a non technical person.

So...I guess if I wanted to create interactive/dynamic web
applications...what criteria would I use to determine the appropriate
language/technology? Thanks,

Mark