[AccessD] Keeping your db in tiptop shape

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Tue Apr 14 14:24:53 CDT 2009

In general:

A. Create a backup schedule and make sure it is maintained.

B. Verify your database on a regular basis.

C. Rebuild indexes and/or update database statistics on a regular basis.

D. Defragment your hard drive on a regular basis.  Note that open files
cannot be defragmented, so you need to shut your database down before doing
so.  If this this is not an option because of the length of time, defrag the
drive first to create the most amount of contiguous free space possible,
then close, move the data base files, and re-open the DB.

E. If your R/DBMS system uses journaling files, make sure they are on a
different drive then the main database files.

F. Test that you are able to recover from your backups.

G. Periodically review index usage and determine if changes are required.

Jim.