[AccessD] Keeping your db in tiptop shape

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Apr 14 14:39:16 CDT 2009

The mysterious db1.mdb is the copy of the file created when the file does the compact repair.  The
process is:

Create a temporary file called dbX.mdb.  X will be the next available number if there is already
(for example) a db1.mdb.

Copy everything from the named db file into the temp file.

Delete the regular (named) file.

Rename dbX.mdb to the original name.

The file is left behind when the delete of the named file fails for some reason.  This means BTW
that the compact / repair failed on that occasion.