[AccessD] Access banned; VBA skills at new lows...

Mark Simms marksimms at verizon.net
Thu Apr 16 14:22:40 CDT 2009

I was at a client site yesterday where myself and the business manager met
with the IT "team".
Well, it turns out, we were going to create a quick-and-dirty mini datamart
for reporting purposes.
However, IT said : "No more work in Access is permitted"
Apparently in the recent past, some rogue Access apps were using ODBC
connections to their live, REALTIME SQL Server databases, and performance
really took a hit. The queries ran in a loop as they were poorly designed
and constructed. So one stupid programmer ruined it all for everyone !
Nonetheless, we'll just use SQL Server Reporting Services to format and
consolidate the data into a SQL Server table and then download it to Excel.
Excel has not been banned (yet).
However, in our neck of the woods in this economy, pay rates continue to
drop to ridiculous levels as noted by this ad:
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tch/1116061032.html
I know, I know...the ever-so-awful craigslist.
I hate it too.