[AccessD] Second wireless at other end of house

Heenan, Lambert Lambert.Heenan at aiuholdings.com
Wed Apr 22 09:50:13 CDT 2009

Well with one of these (A Mac Airport Express)...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB321?afid=p202|GOUSE104936891&cid=OAS-US-KWG-WiFi-US

I have very easily extended the range of my WiFi router. The Airport is normally used as a very simple Wireless Access point, where you hook your (non-WiFi) router to the Ethernet port on the box, but it can also be configures as a repeater (or is 'bridge' the right term?) when it is just plugged into the power outlet on the wall, and it connects to and retransmits the existing WiFi signal. As an added bonus, using Apple's Bonjour software, you can plug a USB printer into the USB port on the device and that printer can them be used by any computer on the LAN. In effect the Airport Express is acting as a print server too.

Another thing you might be able to try is to update the firmware on your wireless router. I use a LynkSys WRT54G and after flashing the firmware with 3rd party software (DD-WRT) amongst other things I was able to considerably boot the power of transmission. That combined with the Airport gives me full coverage at home, including the garden.

Take a look here...
http://lifehacker.com/software/router/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router-178132.php

Lambert