[AccessD] FW: Error Message while Connecting Access to Oracle

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Thu Apr 23 17:16:17 CDT 2009

Thanks.  I'll pass it along.

Rocky

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of McGillivray, Don
[IT]
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:14 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] FW: Error Message while Connecting Access to Oracle

Rocky,

I passed your post (up to and including Martin's last post) along to a
colleague who has some Oracle experience.  Here's his response:

<quote>

I would agree with what has been said.

I would install an Oracle Client and not use the MS version of the ODBC.
Once the Client is installed it should come with SQL Plus that can be used
to test connectivity.

The syntax of the tnsnames.ora file looks correct below.

MRDF =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = hostname)(PORT = 1522))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = MRDF))
  )

Although it has been some time since I used Oracle 8i, I do recall that I
had an issue once that gave the same error and it was because I updated the
wrong tnsnames.ora file. I recall that there were tnsnames.ora file under
the install folder somewhere and another under the \NETWORK\Admin subfolder.
I do not recall which one was the correct one.

Also, if it is a local install of Oracle on a MS Server then the Oracle
Services may not be set to auto start.

<end quote>

Hope this may help.

Don McGillivray

This e-mail may contain Sprint Nextel Company proprietary information
intended for the sole use of the recipient(s). Any use by others is
and delete all copies of the message.