[AccessD] Moderator Message

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Thu Aug 6 13:52:05 CDT 2009

  The other major issue is that Microsoft has never fixed the environment
issues with Access.  It's difficult at best to have multiple versions
co-exist and VBA references are always a problem.  I'm struggling right now
with a client because of report bugs in 2003, so we installed 2000.  Now the
new release of their software won't run on anything but 2003 and we can't
get the two to play nice on the same machine.

  Given that and the fact that many products now have many of Access
capabilities and then some, the lower end niche that Access filled is
certainly shrinking.

  They also have dumped many of the developer features, such as ADP's,
Replication, and User Level Security.  However they keep adding end-user
type features like the ribbon, integration with SharePoint, and new macro
capabilities.  It's no wonder most IT shops considers Access a end user toy.

   Furthering that along is the "developers" that don't have a clue how to
use it.  Just yesterday, I bumped into someone on Expert's Exchange that was
developing a "one-off" app that was having performance issues.  He
acknowledged that he was a beginner at database design.

   But rather then deal with the real issues, he just chopped features out
hoping for the best.  And at the end of the thread, he mentioned that this
app was going to be used by up to 1,000 financial advisors.

 Great impression that app will make I'm sure :(

Jim.