[AccessD] "Google Maps Navigator" Sample MS Access Application

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Fri Aug 7 06:04:18 CDT 2009

Hi All,

(Sorry I have got this message cross-posted: originally posted by mistake to
dba-VB)

Have you ever tried to work with Google Maps in MS Access application via MS
Web Browser control? To do some simple navigation you can use URLs like the
following:

Finland

http://maps.google.com/maps?type=photo
<http://maps.google.com/maps?type=photo&mode=preview&ll=65,27&spn=5,5>
&mode=preview&ll=65,27&spn=5,5

Using this approach I have made a simple sample application, which
screenshot you can see here:

http://shamils-4.hosting.parking.ru/temp/GoogleMapsNavigator.jpg

My question is: Do you know what format of URLs to use to show just a map?

I know there exist the Google Maps API
(http://code.google.com/intl/en-EN/apis/maps/) for advanced usage of Google
Maps via JavaScript but I wanted to try to bypass usage of that API this
time.

For the ones interested to experiment via simple Google Maps navigation
approach I have posted MS Access sample application here:

http://northwind.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=26600

You can download it using the following URL(watch line wraps):

http://northwind.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=26600#D
ownloadId=78352  (175KB)

Our Northwind.CodePlex.com team could use the above approach + Google Maps
API in .NET sample application.

More advanced question is: Is there any way to react in MS Access hosting
form's VBA code to the changes done in Google Maps map, e.g. Zoom-in/out,
Move of map .? I mean when Zoon-in/out happens there should be AJAX (Google
Maps API) calls to the Google server - are there any web browser events,
corresponding to that API calls?(I know Browser navigation can be trapped
via web browser events but this isn't the question.)

Thank you.

--
Shamil

P.S. Some more sample URLs: