[AccessD] Moderator Message

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Fri Aug 7 07:51:19 CDT 2009

Charlotte,

  I'd be the first to admit that the PAQ database (Previously Asked
Question) has gone down in quality tremendously.  When the site first
started out, it was of course smaller and had much more of that "community
feel" to it like Access-D does.  There were far fewer questions and answers
were more concise.  In the Access area, there were only a dozen or so at
most of Access Experts.

  Now with the number of members in the millions, it has moved more to a
"ask a question, get an answer" type format rather then relying on the PAQ.
Although EE still says that about 80% of the members still don't ask
questions and get their answers from the PAQ, I find it hard to believe.
You need to wade through a lot of stuff.

  Personally, unless you have a very specific question (ie. you have an
error message or something like that), it's very hard to get a answer from
the PAQ anymore.  Your far better off to simply post a question and get an
answer and with the number of people now on the site, that happens fairly
quickly.

  That's really no different then what happens here on Access-D.  You post
and get an answer or someone says "search the archives".  I think here on
Access-D though there is a lot more quality to the posts then a lot of what
you'll find on EE.  It's turned into too much of a points race there
(Experts get points for answering questions) so answers tend to be short and
quick. That all started when they allowed members unlimited question points.
Before that, the amount of points you had with which to ask questions was
limited, so you asked good questions and were more involved with the answer.
Now that's not the case and many questioners simply give up and move onto
another question since it basically costs them nothing.  This is another
reason why the PAQ has gone way down in quality.  EE has finally started to
put a cap on that by limiting the number of questions you can have open, but
it's too little too late I'm afraid.

  As far as the paying part, I always remember TANSTAAFL; There ain't no
such thing as a free lunch.  As I've already pointed out, you sign up and
pay or contribute and get the service for free.  They do have a limited
membership for 30 days that is free to try things out, but 30 days is all
you get.

   And to be clear, my point for posting all this is not to do this as a
form of promoting EE here, but trying to figure out what it is about EE that
everyone dislikes so much.   I have to say, I was quite surprised at the
level of resentment towards EE the last time this came up.  So much so that
you guys actually worked out a way to eliminate it from Google search
results.

  What I want to understand is it a matter of EE being misunderstood, or the
way in which it actually operates that is the problem.  Frankly I'm
surprised that more of you have not shown up there or else where.

  I guess though that is a testament to Access-D.

Jim.